Downloading a Robocall Blocker App is the Best Way to Stop Robocalls. Here’s Why.
If you have a robocall problem, you’ve likely looked into a robocall blocker app as a solution. Robocalls, whether they are legal or illegal, are difficult to stop. That’s why a robocall blocker app can provide real value in many ways.
Phone networks are a complex web of carriers and solution providers. This makes it difficult for most providers and government organizations to find and punish those who break telephone communication laws.
This unfortunate truth is frustrating, but you can take matters into your own hands by downloading a robocall blocker app.
In this post, we will cover:
- What are robocall blocker apps?
- Why are robocall blocker apps so effective?
- What should you consider when looking for a robocall blocker app?
- What robocall blocker app should you use to stop spam calls?
Why Downloading a Robocall Blocker App is the Best Solution to Stop Robocalls
4.5 billion robocalls were made in June 2018. That’s nearly 18 robocalls for every person.
It’s not hard to understand why robocalls were the number one complaint to the Federal Trade Commission in 2017. A grand total 7,157,370 complaints were made against robocallers and telemarketers. Despite this, the robocall epidemic is getting worse.
Luckily, there are solutions to help you fight back against the surge of intrusive, annoying robocalls.
Downloading an app to block robocalls on your iPhone or Android smartphone is the most effective solution to dealing with your robocall problem. Why? Because it puts the power in your hands. Robocall blocker apps give you control to determine what calls you believe to be spam.
Spam-blocker apps also create a nationally sourced database of prominent phone scammers and phone criminals. If every mobile phone owner used a robocall blocker app such as RoboKiller, you’d know exactly who was a spam caller every time the phone rang. Telemarketers and spam callers would not stand a chance!
The FTC states that call blocker apps can give you the ability to:
- Prescreen your calls before your phone rings
- Block certain types of calls, including calls that others have flagged as fraudulent or unwanted calls
- Block anonymous calls that show up as “Unknown” callers
What to Consider When Looking for a Robocall Blocker App That is Right for You
There are a few robocall blocker apps on the Google Play or Apple App Store. Many are free apps that provide limited call blocking services and spam protection. Other spam call blocker apps require paid subscriptions, which typically offer more extensive functionality in managing and permanently stopping robocalls.
When deciding whether to purchase a call blocker app or download a free one, our advice is simple: you get what you pay for.
If you start with a free app, then you should expect limited protection from robocalls and spam calls.
If you’ve ever been a target or victim of phone scams, you understand there is no price for a sense of security. Therefore, we recommend you purchase a spam blocker app to provide the tools you need to truly stop your robocall problem.
When evaluating robocall blocker apps, you must check each app’s compatibility with both your smartphone’s operating system (Android or iOS) and phone service carrier (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile). Many times, apps only support iOS or Android or have challenges with pre-paid phone carriers due to technological limitations.
Make sure to look for compatibility for both operating systems and phone carriers in the app description on the Google Play or Apple App Store, or by looking on the robocall blocker app’s website.
Why Solutions Other Than Robocall Blocker Apps are Ineffective
At RoboKiller, we get a lot of questions as to why other solutions other than a paid robocall blocker service are ineffective. The solutions that most commonly come in question are:
- Solutions offered by phone carriers and service providers
- Manual phone number blocking on Apple or Android
- The Do Not Call registry
- Reporting robocalls to the FTC
While some of the well-known recommended solutions to stop robocalls can help reduce the number of unwanted robocalls & spam calls you receive, the unfortunate truth is that they were not designed to effectively combat your robocall problem.
In the next section of our post, you’ll learn why.
Solutions Offered by Phone Carriers and Service Providers
There are four basic reasons why phone companies have not done much to provide call blocking solutions to their customers.
- Money. Understanding the economics of spam calls is the first step in solving the problem. Placing phone calls is inexpensive for telemarketers and spammers; they can make millions of illegal calls at little cost and with almost no risk. Unfortunately, phone companies make money when they connect these calls to your phone. So unless their competitors are offering a better solution to stop nuisance calls, carriers have little incentive and plenty of money to lose by investing money in preventing these calls.
- Regulations. The telecommunications industry is highly regulated by the government to create competition and fairness. However, this also slows down innovation and reduces the risks carriers are willing to take.
- It is not an easy problem to solve. The phone network is a complex web of carriers and solutions providers. Without cooperation, it is difficult to stop these calls; especially from calls originating overseas.
- Apps like RoboKiller Exist. Because the spam call problem is expensive and complicated to solve, most phone carriers leave it to professionals to solve. Apps such as RoboKiller have already mastered the inner workings of effective spam call blocking, so why would they want to invest in a solution?
New laws and new cooperation between the government, telecom companies, and third-party providers are hoping to improve the telemarketing and robocall situation, but it’s unlikely to be available to the public anytime soon.
Manual Phone Number Blocking on iPhone or Android
Back before robocall blocker apps became popular, nearly everyone used manual phone number blocking on their iPhone or Android. When anyone received a suspicious or unwanted call, they would block the phone number using their phone’s default settings.
People would keep hundreds of phone numbers in their phone’s blocked list – and still receive anywhere from 1-5 robocalls per day! Doesn’t seem to be an effective solution, does it?
Many believe that blocking the number they received a phone call from will stop the caller from ever reaching their phone again. However, there are two problems with this solution (depending on what caller ID the caller is using).
- Blocked, No Caller ID, or Unknown Calls. If you have a phone harasser, you’ve likely considered blocking their phone number. If this person is determined to reach you, there is an easy way to pass your phone’s block list. Calling from a blocked number. That’s right, a spammer can still reach you from a blocked number. If the caller realizes they have been blocked, all they need to do is add *67 before your phone number and voila! You’re back to square one with your phone-spam problem.
- Random Phone Numbers. Most times, spam callers use caller ID spoofing to call you from a fake phone number. A spoofed phone number is a number that is shown on the caller ID that is not the actual phone number that the caller truly called you from. Spam callers almost always call you from spoofed numbers because spoofed calls are nearly untraceable. Spammers’ use technology that auto-generates these fake caller ID’s, making the call blocking on your smartphone obsolete. What does that mean for you? Each time you block a phone number, it will stop that phone number from calling you again – but won’t stop the spammer from calling from a different phone number.
For those who are really fed up with spam calls, another common recommendation is to set your iPhone or Android to only receive phone calls from numbers saved in your Contacts. This can be accomplished by:
- Navigate to Settings -> Do Not Disturb
- Toggle Manual ON (green slider) to enable Do Not Disturb (DND), or schedule a time for DND to automatically switch on
- Tap “Allow Calls From”
- Select “All Contacts”
As you might imagine, this solution may help reduce the unwanted robocalls you receive. However, this solution makes it impossible for any person who is not saved to your phone’s Contact List (doctor, school, pharmacy) to reach you. Going phone-less is not as easy as it seems!
The Do Not Call Registry
If you receive unwanted spam and telemarketing calls, it is likely that you have received a recommendation to register your mobile and landline phone numbers with the Do Not Call Registry. It’s a national list of phone numbers who do not wish to receive telemarketing solicitations.
You have also likely been let down when you receive spam calls days, minutes, or seconds later after registering. Some people even complain that registering their phone numbers on the Do Not Call List actually makes their spam problem worse, though that’s never been proven.
While registering your phone number on the Do Not Call List will certainly reduce the number of legal robocalls you receive, this solution was simply was not designed to combat the 65 percent of robocalls that are considered illegal scams (and likely fraudulent).
Now, that’s not to say you shouldn’t consider those methods to stop unwanted spam calls. We do recommend registering on the Do Not Call List if you do not want to receive legal telemarketing calls. We do not recommend you rely only on the Do Not Call List as the all-encompassing solution to stop robocalls.
Filing a Complaint with the FTC
Even the FTC will tell you, filing a complaint about a phone scammer, harasser, or telemarketer will not stop them from calling you again. Robocall blocker apps are valuable in these situations because they protect consumers from continuing to receive robocalls and the serious threat of phone scams. Once you download a robocall blocker app, you are protected before the spammers attack.
Sending a report to the FTC will help you be a good Samaritan in the fight against unwanted calls and phone harassment, but it will not prevent the spammer from trying to steal from you or harass you over the phone.
The Major Benefits of Downloading a Robocall Blocker App
At RoboKiller, we hated robocalls so much we invented an app to stop them. During the process, we discovered these awesome benefits of using a robocall blocker app as the best solution to permanently stop robocalls.
- You give phone scammers and robocallers the revenge they deserve
- You don’t have to change your phone number (or throw your phone out the window)
- You save time, money, and protect your personal identity
You Give Phone Scammers & Robocallers the Revenge They Deserve
Illegal phone scammers are pretty horrible people. We feel we have a right to say that because we’ve analyzed hundreds of thousands of their calls.
Do you have a family member in the hospital? Spammers will call you pretending to be the hospital collection agency. Are you in an area devastated by a terrible hurricane? Spammers will call pretending to be FEMA. Do you have an older family member who lives alone? Spammers will send hundreds of spam calls to their landline phone because they think the elderly are more gullible to phone scams. The list could go on forever.
Previously, thanks to phone spoofing, it has been impossible to get the revenge on spam and robocallers you truly deserve. However, there is one app designed to go beyond blocking spam & robocalls–but drain their time and resources at the source.
RoboKiller’s Answer Bots are hilarious pre-recorded bots who actually answer your spam calls for you. Answer Bots trick scammers and robocallers into thinking they’re talking to you–wasting seconds, minutes, even hours on the phone. Here is one of our favorite Answer Bots in Action:
It is estimated that for every one second that is drained by Answer Bots, nearly 3,000 people do not receive a call they otherwise would have per second! With Answer Bots, you don’t just solve the robocall problem for yourself. You join a valiant fight in the war against spam callers – and YOU make a BIG impact.
You Don’t Have to Change Your Phone Number (Or Throw Your Phone Out the Window)
Another common solution to fight against spam callers or phone harassment is to change your phone number. This can be costly and annoying to do. Imagine calling your phone service provider to change your number, then informing those you care about, work with, or need to communicate regularly with, then changing all of your accounts and passwords associated to your own phone numbers. Ugh.
We should also mention that changing your phone number doesn’t mean you will get a brand new one. Many times, you can change your phone number to a number that once belonged to someone else!
Robocall blocker apps remove the headache of having to change your phone number entirely. Think about the time and hassle saved if you can avoid changing your phone number to stop your spam call problem.
You Save Time, Money, and Protect Your Personal Identity
Phone scams are a very serious problem. Each year, consumers in the United States lose millions of dollars to phone criminals and elaborate phone scams. Every smartphone owner in the United States has a one in ten chance of losing money to phone scams every day!
Downloading a robocall blocker app is equivalent to downloading anti-virus software on your computer. This is because a robocall blocker app will give you the power to keep a personal blacklist of numbers you want to block and flag incoming spam or fraudulent calls. This functionality ensures you don’t answer the phone and put yourself at risk of becoming a victim to phone scams.
As an added bonus, you can make a big impact in the fight against spam calls. Many call blocker apps use their database and users’ blacklists to learn from scammers, and are quickly able to alert you about the latest phone scams before the scammers even know they’re being watched! With apps like RoboKiller, there is nowhere for these spammers to hide.
Robocall Blocker Apps are Awesome for Many Reasons
Using a robocall blocker app to stop your spam call problem is the most effective solution on the market. The benefits of using a spam call blocker app range anywhere from saving the hassle of changing your phone number, all the way to getting revenge on the scammer who stole your time, money or personal identity.
It may seem biased, but we know through experience that downloading a robocall blocker app is the only solution to equip you with the tools to protect yourself from the dangers of phone scams and fraud. Robocall blocker apps are truly the anti-virus for your phone calls. We recommend you download one today!
RoboKiller is the #1 App to Take the Fight to Robocallers & Scammers
RoboKiller is the only robocall blocker app that puts the power in YOUR hands to stop spam calls forever. Beyond offering the most effective spam call protection, real-time caller identification, and blacklist/whitelist functionality, RoboKiller also allows you to take revenge on spam callers using our hilarious Answer Bots. What better way to fight robocalls than with robocalls!
RoboKiller is an easy investment to ensure your privacy and personal information is protected from annoying spam calls. Join the fight to permanently stop spam calls, all while enjoying a robocall-free smartphone!